Friday, January 10, 2014

Here's to 2014 Healthy Living

Hi Foody Friends,

Happy New Year! It's 2014 and I'm sure you and many others have made that dreaded resolution to lose weight and get fit.  I am one of them and so far, it's great!  I'm actually surprised on how committed I am.  Is it because I turned 40 last year or is that I just over ate or over drank during the Holiday Season?  Well, it's both.

Usually I jump right in, and say, "I'm signing up for Weight Watchers, it's the only thing that works, I'm so fat!"  Followed by me persuading my husband how much I need this.  Where's the violin and cheese??  I found a great app on my IPhone called Spark People.  It counts calories for you and your fitness.  So far, so good.  My goal is to lose 2 pounds per week. I'm on track so watch out,  I am on my way to a lean, mean machine this summer!

On another note, eating right and not starving yourself is the key.  Recently, I was introduced to Organic Food.  I know, I know.  It's been here for years, but I never grocery shopped for it.  I went and visited Healthy Living Mart in Wilton.  First time there and was very pleased.  I spent about an hour in there, believe me I could have spent a lot longer.  Such a great variety of foods, some I have never even heard of which even sparked my palate!  I was looking for a family friendly meal, that kids especially would love, that was healthy in a tricky way.  You know, everyone has a picky eater in the family.  I have one that "claims" she's picky, but she can't pull one over on this Mom! But, we are all aware of when it comes to veggies and healthy foods, they look at you like a deer in headlights.  What? Where's my Happy Meal?  No, not here.  So, I found Turkey Breast Cutlets made by Misty Knoll Farms in Vermont, Fresh Organic Zucchini Squash and some yummy Organic Herbs.  My menu was coming together as I drove home.  Marinated Grilled Turkey Cutlets, Baked Zucchini Fries with a Dill Dipping Sauce and Black Bean and Corn Salsa. It sounds healthy and delicious all in one!  I couldn't wait to start cooking.

As you can see with the pictures, the dinner was a hit!  Husband and kids were satisfied and loved it!  The turkey cutlets were marinated in Lime juice, EVOO, garlic, salt and pepper.  Grilled to perfection!  Zucchini Fries were breaded with Panko Breadcrumbs, Parmesan Cheese, dried Basil and Oregano. To top it off, a fabulous Salsa made with Black Beans, Corn, Tomato, Avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper!  What a great combination this dinner was.  Healthy, satisfying and kid friendly.  Check out the recipe below and visit Healthy Living Mart, you will not be disappointed.  By the way, they have a Beer aisle and sell Wine! Oh, I will be back!


Cheers to 2014!



1  Medium Zucchini Squash or 5 Small
1 cup Panko's
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 tbsp. of Dry Oregano and Basil
2 Eggs

Heat oven at 425.  Cut Zucchini into fries, lightly salt and set aside.  Mix Panko's, Parmesan and Herbs in a shallow bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk eggs.  Dip Zucchini in egg wash, let excess drip off, dip into dry batter and then place on a foiled covered baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.                                                                                        



1 lb. Turkey Cutlets
1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
3 tbsp. EVOO
Generous amount of Salt & Pepper
Dash of Cayenne

Marinate in the above for about an hour.  Grill on each side for about 3-4 minutes depending on thickness of cutlet.

Salsa:
1 Can of Black Beans
1 cup of Corn
1 Avocado
1 cup of Cherry Tomatoes diced
Drizzle with Fresh Lime Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste



No comments:

Post a Comment