Monday, February 20, 2012

Burgers...sloppy or neat?

Hi Foody Friends!

Who doesn't love a good, juicy, ginormous burger? I do! The more you put on it, the better it is!  The toppings for a burger are never ending.  You can do as little as a piece of American Cheese, to Chili piled high with bacon, radishes, jalapenos and god knows whatever else you can fit between those yummy rolls.

I had to blog about this because I started to think about the TV show, Triple D, and my husband Chris while making dinner tonight.  Guy Fieri is the host, ever watch?  Sum it up it one sentence, he visits restaurants and diners through out the country that have the "best food."  Its one of my favorites!  Anyways, to get back to my thought, on "Triple D",  Chefs make these huge burgers that you can barely fit your mouth around.  It has everything and anything on the burger and looks absolutely delicious.  My mouth is watering every time I watched this show because the food and the burgers look scrumptious!  The reason my husband, Chris came to mind, is that he always says the same thing when a burger episode is on.  "Oh my god, I cannot eat something that has so much stuff on it!".  Me on the other hand, is licking the TV screen...actually no, but close. LOL   So, Chris is a simple cheeseburger eating kind of guy.  Hamburger, slice of American, lettuce tomato and mayo, The All American Hamburger! LOL.  Which is absolutely fine, there is nothing wrong with that at all!

Tonight, I made burgers for dinner.  I sauteed garlic and onion, roasted red peppers, green onions and made a Wasabi Green Onion Spread.  I used toasted sliced Italian Bread instead of the normal hamburger roll.  I added American cheese, lettuce and sliced radishes, instead of tomato, for the "crunch".  I also made herb Roasted Steak Potatoes for a side.  As I am making this, I'm thinking, this is not the burger for the All American guy in the living room!  Surpisingly,  he loved it!  I thought I would get a look and ask for a fork to scrape off some of the toppings, but not at all! In fact, he said it was the best burger he had!  He DOES like a sloppy burger after all. LOL

I grew up with the basic All American Burger.  It never went any further than cheese, and if there was some raw onions, lettuce and tomatoes on the table, someone else was helping in the kitchen.  Normally it was me or one of my sisters sneaking a little extra on the table for the god forsaken burnt burgers!  I mean does every Tuesday night have to be burnt burger night??  What if we were out of cheese that day!!!! Oh know, a plain burnt burger between two buns! How do you sleep at night giving us that!!!!   Why not mix it up a little.  Here's something very simple to juicy up your burger, add Campbell's French Onion Soup or some Worcestershire Sauce.  You can also cubed up some cheese and add right into your meat before making the patties.  Oh the list goes on and on! 

One of my favorite burger places is Five Guys. Oh my, I could eat in there every night!  Those burgers are so delicious and fattening! That's why its a "once in a while, lets go eat at Five Guys" place for us.  The burgers are always piled high with several different choices of toppings.  And of course, the enormous side of fries you get!  My favorite is the Bacon Cheeseburger with sauteed onions, jalapeno peppers and grilled mushrooms with lettuce and tomato.  Its sloppy and spicy just how I like it! LOL

Next time you cook up you favorite burger, pile it high and pour a glass of Barefoot Riesling.  They go together well!

Enjoy,

Donna Wright

2 comments:

  1. If the burger juice isn't running down your arm its not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nancy. The messier, the better! :-)

    ReplyDelete