Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Palate is Bursting! What does that mean?

Hello Foody Friends!

My Palate is Bursting!  Have you heard that term before? It always makes me giggle. Palate? Bursting? Who says that on a day to day basis?  It's a funny term, that if you were someone who never heard it before...your mind may go straight to the gutter.

I love hearing sayings from Chefs. I find it amusing. Gordon Ramsay has very humorous sayings, if you ever watch Hells Kitchen, you will get a taste of Ramsey's humor. "Piss Off", "Donkey", and don't forget the infamous F Bomb that he throws around through out the show!  But we all know that Chef Ramsey is a World Famous Chef so I know he has some fantastic talk going on in his kitchen!  

Well lets get back to to my palate bursting...what does it mean? Well, its very simple, the roof of your mouth, which is the palate, gives you a sense of taste. Once the  flavors hit your mouth, your taste buds on your tongue open up and those magnificent flavors just seep through your palate and just explode in taste!  When this happens, most people will say, "mmmm" or "this is delicious."  How man times do you hear, "my palate is bursting"??  You just don't. LOL.
  
Chris and I had a lunch date yesterday and he took me to Shalimar Restaurant in Clifton Park.  Shalamar's is an Indian/Pakastani Restaurant.  The food was delicious, spicy and full of flavor.  Did my palate burst you ask? Yes, over and over!  It was fantastic! I loved the food.

Wine tasting.  Sometimes, when tasting wines, you are given a sorbet or some water to "cleanse your palate".  This is to prepare you for the burst. LOL.  You want to remove any taste of the wine you were tasting before tasting another.  This way, you get the full effect of flavors on your palate!   Isn't the palate wonderful?  I mean, what other part of your body can you clean and burst with food or wine? None!

So, remember, next time you bite into that delicious steak or sip on a great glass of wine, make sure your palate is clean, because it may........burst!

Enjoy!

Donna Wright

2 comments: